Mission of the Justice & Peace Committee
The Justice & Peace Committee for the Western Lieutenancy is committed to the following mission:
- To educate and enlighten members of the Order by providing them with information about the Holy Land, the Latin Patriarchate, and related subjects that is, to the best of our abilities, factually accurate, timely, non-partisan, impartial and useful.
- To raise members' consciousness of the situation of Christians in the Holy Land by developing their understanding of issues of justice and peace in the Holy Land, including:
- The political, social and religious situation of Christians
- The relations between the Palestinians and their neighbors
- The state of Israeli-Arab relations
- The progress of peace negotiations in the Middle East
- Relations between the Vatican, Israel and the Arab world
- Other related issues;
- To encourage members to engage in appropriate action on issues that pertain to the mission of Latin Patriarchate, and which affect the existence of the Christian community in the Holy Land.
- To foster understanding of our fellow Christians who have a presence in the Holy Land and who share in the custody of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and other shrines.
- To reach out to other faith communities such as the Jews and the Muslims whose presence in the Holy Land provides the context for Christian life in the Holy Land.
The Committee pursues this mission by:
- Reviewing, evaluating and distributing information from news sources, papers and studies issued by various government agencies and non-profit organizations, publications, internet sources, and contacts in the Holy Land, to members via the internet—by email and on the Order's website.
- Publishing articles in the Order's printed newsletter and, eventually, on the Order's website.
- Preparing and distributing action letters and petitions for members.
- Arranging visits to places of worship to meet fellow Christians and members of other faiths.
- Arranging outings to special events that have a connection to the Holy Land.
- Developing contacts with other groups and organizations that are in harmony with the Order's goals of supporting Christians in the Holy Land.
To preserve the Lieutenancy's non-profit status, the Justice and Peace Committee cannot suggest that members of the Order engage in lobbying as a group of Knights and Ladies for or against specific pieces of legislation. Rather, the Committee encourages members to form their own independent opinions and communicate their personal views and opinions to appropriate civic officials and others as each member may deem appropriate.